Answers to some of the frequently asked questions regarding the API.
How do I connect to the API?
The main API can be connected to directly at:
The primary endpoints accept POST requests through JSON.
The API can also be connected to directly through one of our supported plugins into ArcGIS, QGIS, and Alteryx
How do I get an API key?
An API key must be included in any request - you can sign up for a free key for testing purposes here.
What are the different endpoints of the API?
The endpoints for the different functions of the API are:
- TimeMap (isochrones) - https://api.traveltimeapp.com/v4/time-map
- TimeFilter (matrices) - https://api.traveltimeapp.com/v4/time-filter
- TimeFilter Fast (large matrices) - https://api.traveltimeapp.com/v4/time-filter/fast
- Routes (A to B routing) - https://api.traveltimeapp.com/v4/routes
- Geocoding (standard and reverse) - https://api.traveltimeapp.com/v4/geocoding
- MapInfo (supported countries info) - https://api.traveltimeapp.com/v4/map-info
- Supported Locations - https://api.traveltimeapp.com/v4/supported-locations
More information on what these endpoints do can be found here.
What are the usage limits on the API?
- Search usage limits are built around different pricing bands - more information can be found here
- Analytics usage limits are based on a fair usage policy of 300 searches/minute and 100,000 searches/day
What counts as an API 'search'?
One API 'search' equals:
- 1 isochrone (using the TimeMap endpoint)
- 1 route (using the Routes endpoint)
- The travel times from 1 origin to up to 2,000 destinations (using the TimeFilter endpoint)
- The travel times from 1 origin to up to 100,000 destinations (using the TimeFilter Fast endpoint)
It is possible to have multiple 'searches' within a single API 'request', but the usage limits are set at the search level, not the request level.
How do I access the future transport networks through the API?
We support two future public transport network developments in the UK - Crossrail and the Northern Line Extension.
These can be accessed through an alternative URL, but the endpoints work in exactly the same way as the core API.
Crossrail URL - http://crossrail.traveltimeplatform.com
Northern Line Extension URL - https://northernline.api.traveltimeapp.com
To enquire about possible other future public transport network developments, please contact email@example.com
Do you have any sample API requests?
We have a Postman collection of sample API requests. To access this, open Postman and import using this link.
We also have a selection of CodePen samples available here.
Alternatively, an example request and response can be found for each endpoint in our documentation here.
Do you have any SDKs available?
We have a number of SDKs available. You can find them here.
How stable is the API?
We currently process over 4 million searches per day, and 4 billion locations per month. Uptime over the last year was 99.98%
How can I monitor my API usage?
You can track your API usage by logging in here.
If you can't remember your original login details, look for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line TravelTime Signup Details
I'm getting an error returned by the API - what does it mean?
A description of each error code can be found here.
I think I've discovered a bug. How can I report it?
To report a potential bug please contact us at email@example.com
Please include where applicable:
- What has happened and what was expected to happen
- Request code
- OS version